– What is that?
– What do you do with that?
– You need a degree to do that?
– My friend has one of those…
– It’s not too late to change your major.
– You know, libraries won’t exist in [insert period of time here].
– I haven’t been to a library in [insert period of time here].
– I like to read.
– Do you like to read?
– Who is your favorite author?
– You know, people don’t read anymore.
– Do you work in a public library?
– There are specialty libraries? (In response to the previous question)
I actually get more flack for pursuing library science than I did for pursuing journalism and history. No “but the media is DYING” conversations, just “I’d love to read your writing.” And with history, everyone just assumes you’re going to become a college professor so it’s, “You’d be a great teacher!” Um, thanks? I’d love to hear any more frequent response from those of you with library degrees or any degrees that lead to obnoxious responses. One of my closest relatives has a degree in philosophy so don’t be afraid to hold back. I’ve heard almost everything at this point.