I know, this is overdue. What can I say? It’s playoff season in the NHL and yes I am basically a walking stereotype on that front. I also needed time to simmer down from the fact that we have a Conservative majority. This time has been a mix of sheer disappointment in people’s unwillingness to actually learn something combined with a lot of “you’re dead to me” thoughts against those who voted Conservative. However, some silver linings from this election have been a slight comfort for the uncertainty ahead.
- Word is, The Conservative government has no plans to go bat shit crazy on individual rights, such as abortion. I think even a robot like Harper knows that he has to play it safe over the next four years, otherwise he knows the party could get destroyed a la Progressive Conservative post-Mulroney. Does it relax me completely? No. But if it means that I don’t have to listen to that squirrely faced doucecanoe by the name of Rod Bruinooge, I’ll take the win.
- Who’s the Official Oppostion? NDP is Official Opposition! Not that it can really do much in a majority setting, but the record number of seats has me hopeful for the future.
- The collapse of the Bloc. THAT. WAS. AWESOME.
- The near collapse of the Liberals….and I don’t mean that in the same gleeful sense as I do with the Bloc. I’ve mentioned it before that they had the wrong leadership and no real sense of cohesiveness. With Ignatieff resigned, they can do a real search for a leader and start rebuilding. The thing that makes me laugh the most? Their old leader, Stephane Dion kept his seat while Ignatieff lost his. I guess that’s a part of the karma for throwing Dion under the bus in the way that party did.
- Elizabeth May FINALLY won a seat in Parliament, putting the Green party on the map and gaining some much needed legitimacy.
- A record 76 women were elected to Parliament, now making almost 25% of the seats, up from the 22% last time. Is it perfect? No. Should there be more women? Duh. Is it a good step in the right direction? Yes.
- While still a sucky voter turnout, it did go up from the last election.
So that’s what has been helping me sleep at night. I figure focusing on the good for now until shit really hits the fan will keep me from having my fair fall out. More than anything, I hope that this cold shower gets our progressive asses moving. I hope we stay vigilant, make more noise and fix this fuck up in 4 years.