I went out with a dude recently who, when we were discussing where we’d go to dinner said straight out, “Just so you know, I’m paying for everything.” I raised an eyebrow—he’s plenty aware of my feminist sensibilities—and he joked: “Consider it reparations for the Patriarchy.” I actually laughed out loud and told him that if I’d known that ahead of time, I would have made us reservations at the most expensive restaurant in town, because the P owed me way more than the low-key dinner I’d planned at a neighborhood restaurant.
When I talked with some of my girlfriends about the date, I asked them: What other reparations should we get from the Patriarchy?
The answers, in no particular order:
- Free health care, especially reproductive health care.
- A lifetime of therapy and/or anti-depressants.
- “Funding my master’s degree, because the Patriarchy is especially harsh on women in science.”
- “Paying for my kids’ education, since sexist employment policies meant taking a salary cut so that I could have a 9 to 5 schedule while raising them.”
- “10 solid minutes of cunnilingus three times a week or more, to make up for all the men who thought their pleasure was more important than mine.”
- “A maid service. With male cleaners. Preferably white ones.”
What would be your ideal form of reparations from the Patriarchy?